Alternatives to org.kde.plasma.desktop

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 15:36:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Franklin Weng
<franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
>  * lookandfeelexplorer now just allowed me to create a new theme or open an
> old theme's folder.  And when I create a new theme it will be created
> directly at ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ with all my current
> settings (without a org.kde.*.desktop folder).  I suppose that's the default
> and correct behavior, right?  In my live system I created

yes

> /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.ezgo.desktop and copied the contents
> into it.  It worked.  I'm wondering if one would create more different
> look-n-feel themes (stored in his own home) to select, how can he do?

sure! look and feel packages can either be installed locally under
~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel (and that's the only place
lookandfeelexplorer can put them without requiring root access) or
installed globally in /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ which is where
a distribution should put them, and you can preinstall as many as you
want, they would show up in systemsettings->look&feel and then the
user can select them

> * BTW, in the new theme there's a org.kde.plasma.desktop-layout.js file
> which contains desktop and panel settings.  One question for the "desktops"
> part:  I'd like to set the desktop to the "folderview" mode by default.
> What should I put in the js file?  Also, if I want to create more
> activities, how to do that?

folderview is the new default from 5.10, so once you use it, you
should get it for free, if you can't use that yet, then you can have
in the defaults file in the look and feel package:

[Desktop][org.kde.plasma.desktop]
Containment=org.kde.plasma.folder

to have activities created by default, you can try to do in the layout.js file
createActivity("ActivityName") to create the extra one, i would
suggest the following code:

if (activities().length < 2) {
    createActivity("Whatever");
}