Alternatives to org.kde.plasma.desktop

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 17:13:08 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Franklin Weng
<franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:

> you shouldn't have to touch the plasmashellrc file, (and if so, it's
> bound to break)
>

> And do I have to "dirty hack" (directly change the content of ) the
> layout.js defined in the plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop to set up my
> default desktop plasmoids and activities?

uh, not in plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop but in plasma/shells/whatever

where "whatever" is the name of the look and feel package you created,
preferibly with the lookandfeelexplorer utility

> I want to setup the default activity / desktop layout and plasmoids /
> default panels.  Do they all contain in the look-n-feel package?   The above
> settings seem not to define in the /usr/share/plasma/look-n-feel/ folders.

they come from la layout.js file, which a look and feel package can provide

>> in the source code (I searched "plasmashellrc" in lxr.kde.org but no any
>> result.)
>>
>> The layout-templates is also still in the same condition.  I couldn't find
>> an alternative way instead of directly change the layout.js in it.
>
> yes, your look and feel package would have your edited layout.js file.
> also check the application "lookandfeelexplorer" from the plasma-sdk repo.
> you can create a rough package from whatever is your current
> customized setup, then you continue editing the generated package from
> there
>

> I did run the look and feel explorer.  However it seems to define more about
> the appearance like icon style, desktop theme, ...etc., which I've
> successfully set up now.

that too, and the layout.js file, which should really be customized
with this mechanism

--
Marco Martin