Resource consumption for indexing user data, especially files and mails

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Jun 26 12:26:11 BST 2021

Hi Martin,

thanks for your detailed email about the issues you observe with
resource consumption in the context of Akonadi and file indexing.

The measurement procedures I described in my talk only measure total
resource usage of the overall system. They don't try to tie it to
specific processes or differentiate between the application itself and
any background services. They do measure different usage profile with
the application running through a realistic usage scenario, a scenario
where the application is idling, and a baseline with the application not
installed or running.

It would be interesting to do measurements comparing different settings
to the degree that's technically feasible. So comparing energy
consumption with indexing enabled and disabled would show the difference
and also give a number how big the part of indexing is in the overall
energy consumption.

A tricky part might be to get background processes controlled in a way
to get reproducible measurements.

Of course some things are pretty obvious and can be seen by heavy load
of the system, also without exact measurement, so improving on this fron
would certainly be a worthwhile effort.

Kind Regards,
Cornelius