notes from today's Akademy BoF on energy efficiency
lydia at kde.org
Tue Jun 22 11:03:02 BST 2021
Please find attached the notes of today's Akademy BoF.
Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
KDE e.V. Board of Directors
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org
-------------- next part --------------
FOSS ENERGY PROJECT BOF AT AKADEMY 2021
* How is it measured? Are we comparing Okular against Adobe or only against itself?
* You don't have to be better than another app to get the label. It just has to be good in itself.
* We also shine more in user autonomy etc
* It would help us also just to get some more data and improve for ourselves to for example save people's battery by using less power etc.
* KDE might have an advantage by having smaller and more scope constraints apps compared to large fancy commercial apps developed by a big team
* battery lifetime will become much more important for Plasma Mobile
* We will need system-wide measures to optimize here as well
* some of the improvements here will also help laptop use cases
* surprisingly difficult to get cheap devices which measure in short time intervals, which we'd need
* 200ms intervalls is possible with this - not the same accuracy as super expensive equitment but good enough for us to see differences and trace them back to user actions
* should be reproducible by others based on Volker's blog post
* Other aspects to look into that would not usually turn up in perfromance measurements
* lower screen timeout when user is logged out vs logged in
* Thoughts on automating the testing
* currently setting up scenarios is quite tedious in actiona (this is what the students are doing atm)
* see https://invent.kde.org/cschumac/feep/-/blob/master/measurement_setup.md for current setup and options
* Can we wire it up with OpenQA tests?
* fails the easy-to-do criteria but it seems all available options are hard
* A lot of our apps use kxmlgui. could we reuse that?
* Can we use Squish/GammaRay: unlikely, those have too much overhead themselves and thus distort the measurements
* Is complicated click-testing really needed? or is opening okular with a pdf already enough?
* Can we do something with keyboard shortcuts? dbus apis?
* measure existing unit and performance tests? aka re-using existing automation. We'd have to take into account how the tests are evolving but in principle it could be a way to find regressions
* For certification we will need to have an externally-defined use-case. so maybe it doesn't make sense to write complicated tests right now without them in mind.
* old hardware vs making use of power-saving features in newer hardware
* When is the repsonsible time to buy new hardware?
* Current BlauerEngel criteria are only for desktop but there was a tender for mobile devices and server devices. not clear what the timeline for expanding the criteria for them is.
* Application focus
* underlying systems might be more important to optimize? kwin repaint reductions for example could have a huge impact and help many applications
* a more holistic look at energy consumption is useful
* Is cpu usage also a good measure for power consumption?
* would be good to look at it in a more systematic way
* current measurements show a strong correlation while there is activity on the system but in idle mode other things dominate
* hardware vs software accelerated rendering?
* What are the right tradeoffs to make when we have the choice?
* We need to document the user autonomy scenarios
* we are not as transparent about this as we should be because we take it as a given
* We should probably do that anyway because this is out strength
* Maybe we need to present it a bit better and make it more polished/targetted
* Krita for example has a nice privacy statement but it's not linked from the app
* Whom to talk to for new people who we hired for the grant project?
* Nicolas F
* popular desktop apps
* for inside KDE try to make use of the existing project mailinglists because it affects everyone. kde-devel list seems good.
* What happens once we got the certificate?
* recertification is needed. yearly? with new releases?
* stable and automated setup would be useful so we have the data for recertification easily accessible
* there is a defined xml schema for the resulting data
More information about the Energy-efficiency