Evolutions of file indexing

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 09:24:48 GMT 2019

Hello,

On Friday, December 13, 2019 9:00:15 PM CET Nate Graham wrote:
> I think it definitely makes sense to support both, as well as offer an
> option to force the use of old fashioned slow indexing if the user has a
> need for it. However I think we shouldn't be too eager about this,
> because we want the indexing case to work and we don't want people to
> just abandon it and always use the slow indexing. I think that it should
> be somewhat hidden away in the config window, with a warning attached to
> it that it will make indexing slow, and maybe even a request to file
> bugs explaining the reason for wanting to use it.
Indeed, Elisa should handle most cases automatically and prefer use of fast
index cache like Baloo.

The configuration dialog could include a "troubleshooting" section that would
have the switch to force slow file system indexing with an explanation and a
report bug button.
That would be a neat idea. Users would be able to workaround problems and we
would get bug report to fix the issues.