Evolutions of file indexing

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:56:02 GMT 2019

Hello,

Before more changes land related to file indexing, I would like to discuss
where we want to go.

To me, we need to support two different ways to get music files depending on
the platform support and local machine configuration:

* all music is already indexed by a supported platform specific indexer
(Baloo, Tracker, Windows Search, Android media content, ...). We should allow
the user to select that method that will be the fastest ;

* not all music is necessary indexed (removable device, network path, ...) or
there is not yet support for the platform indexer (Windows, ...). In this
case, we should automatically fallback to plain old file system indexing.

We could a configuration option to force use of plain old file system indexing
if the user chooses so with a wording like that (to improve):

[Yes|No] Prefer use of fast search to discover your music (requires that all
your music is already searchable)

In all cases, we would try first to get the metadata from the platform
specific file indexer (like the dolphin metadata widget works).

What do you think ?

--
Matthieu