Release announcement for 0.1 stable version

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:36:10 UTC 2018

Hello Alex,

On dimanche 25 mars 2018 11:31:47 CEST Alexander Stippich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry for the late reply, I almost forgot about it.
>
> I would emphasize that while we are early in the development, we try to
> provide a usable and mostly bug-free experience for the features we have.
> Here is my try which is a combination of the previous release announcements
> and some added bits.

The fact that we want to provide a stable and mostly bug-free experience is
the main motivator for a stable release.

The other very important reason is to be able to get more feedback (a stable
release being easier to package in distributions). We should maybe not forget
to also state that.

> "The Elisa team is happy to announce our first release, version 0.1.
>
> Elisa is a music player developed by the KDE community that strives to be
> simple and nice to use. We also recognize that we need a flexible product to
> account for the different workflows and use-cases of our users.
>
> We focus on a very good integration with the Plasma desktop of the KDE
> community without compromising the support for other platforms (other Linux
> desktop environments, Windows and Android).
>
> We are creating a reliable product that is a joy to use and respects our
> users privacy. As such, we will prefer to support online services where
> users are in control of their data.
>
> Since this is the very first release of Elisa, the number of features is not
> extensive as for other mature music players. We aim to provide a solid
> foundation for new features to be added in the following releases.
>
> Elisa allows to browse music by album, artist or all tracks. The music can
> be searched and added to the playlist easily. It is possible to inspect
> your music's metadata.
> The music is indexed using either a private indexer or an indexer using
> Baloo. The private one can be configured to scan music on chosen paths. The
> Baloo one is faster because Baloo is providing all needed data from its own
> database. You can build and play your own playlist. There is support for
> HiDPI monitors.
>
> The team would like to thank everyone who contributed to the development of
> Elisa, including code contributions, testing, and bug reporting.
>
> We are already working on new features for the next releases, which include
> under-the-hood changes for better performance and better metadata support.
> If you enjoy using Elisa, please consider becoming a contributor yourself.
> We are happy for any support (link to phabricator tasks)! "
>

> Should I put this on the wiki page for further editing?

Thanks for your work. This is a nice first version.

I have put it on the etherpad KDE instance:

https://notes.kde.org/p/elisa_0.1_release_announcement