Port to controls2

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:20:44 UTC 2018

Hello Alex,

On lundi 19 février 2018 20:49:13 CET Alexander Stippich wrote:
> Hello Matthieu,
>
> thanks for testing.
>
> On Sonntag, 18. Februar 2018 22:40:03 CET you wrote:
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > On jeudi 15 février 2018 21:27:23 CET Alexander Stippich wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've pushed a branch called controls2_port to origin so everybody can
> > > test
> > > it. It ports everything except the action and buttons and the menu to
> > > controls 2, i.e. it stays at Qt 5.9.
> >
> > Thanks for your work.
> > I have tried using the Menu from Qt.labs.platform 1.0 . The problem is
> > that
> > on my setup, no icons are present in the menu.
>
> Sorry, I should really write emails more verbosely. I also tried the menus
> from Qt.labs.platform and had the same issue. At least it wasn't stupid me
> then.

No problem. I am still wondering where is the problem. They claim to fallback
to QWidget on linux x11. There should be icons in this case. I would like to
investigate that when I have closed all the ongoing reviews.

> > I have one small modification ready for the branch. I would like to ask
> > for
> > the desktop style from KDE frameworks. After that we could probably merge
> > this branch in master. It seems to work fine.
>
> Reading https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.10/qtquickcontrols2-styles.html I implemented
> the style with the configuration file (qtquickcontrols2.conf), but
> apparently forgot to require Qt5QuickControls2. I think this is the most
> flexible approach with regard to different platforms.

Sorry, I had missed that information in your mail.

> > > Most notable visual difference is the metadata view since the new dialog
> > > component is completely different and it also does not scale correctly
> > > right now.
> >
> > It is because Dialog in Qt Quick Controls v2 are not real dialog but popup
> > inside the main window of Elisa. I am trying to fix that but I have still
> > sizing problem. In the meantime, we can still use the one from v1. The
> > dialogs from the platform qml module seems not enough flexible to allwo
> > that. Maybe we should just use a Window qml component.
>
> Yes, they are Item-based and therefore pretty much like my first proposal I
> made on phabricator for them. I decided to use them because with the menus
> from Qt 5.10 in the future, we would have popups contained within
> application as you said, which should help with a mobile version. But it is
> probably not a goal a desktop version needs to strive for.
> As far as I can see, the Window component is the only way if we want to
> imitate the dialog from v1 with v2.

As far as I have understood, they plan to use desktop platform specific
implementation for the menu and other elements of controls v2 in a later
release. In the meantime, I think we should keep v1 controls only when HighDPI
support is not broken.