Packaging and License feedback

Aurélien COUDERC zecoucou at free.fr
Sun Aug 19 15:30:41 BST 2018

Dear Elisa developers,

first a big thanks for your work on Elisa.
I’ve been using it as my daily music player for some time now and I enjoy it a
lot !

I’m currently packaging Elisa for Debian and you can find my work at [0].
I have a couple of remarks and feedback from my packaging work you may be
interested in.

1. License declaration issue
The files created for Elisa are published under the "GNU Library General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version".
Unfortunately this license doesn’t exist :) as it was renamed to GNU *Lesser*
General Public license starting with version 2.1.

I see in the source history that at some point there was a s/2/3/ so I guess
the intention was to move to LGPLv3. Still I think the source files require to
be correct about the exact license to lift any doubt.

You may want to use the reference license notice from the GNU website [1]
adding Lesser to the first sentence so that it reads "GNU Lesser General Public
License".

2. Private library installed in common /usr/lib
Elisa builds libelisaLib.so.0.1 and installs it directly into:
/usr/lib/${multiarch_triplet}

For what I understand this library is intended for private use by the elisa
binary only and thus should be installed in a subfolder like:
/usr/lib/${multiarch_triplet}/elisa

You’ll find a patch with this change at [2].

3. Failing tests in 0.2.1
I’m currently packaging the latest release 0.2.1 and after some iterations on
the build configuration, still have the following couple of tests failing. I
know it may be related to the way I did the packaging but the these 2 remaining
seem like « real » failures to me so I’m requesting your assistance or comments
here.

 8/15 Test  #6: mediaplaylistTest ................***Failed    1.27 sec
********* Start testing of MediaPlayListTest *********
Config: Using QtTest library 5.11.1, Qt 5.11.1 (x86_64-little_endian-lp64
shared (dynamic) release build; by GCC 8.1.0)
…
QWARN  : MediaPlayListTest::randomPlayList() QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase:
duplicate connection name 'testDbDirectContent', old connection removed.
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::randomPlayList() database open
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::randomPlayList() DatabaseInterface::init yes
FAIL!  : MediaPlayListTest::randomPlayList() Compared values are not the same
   Loc:
[/home/coucouf/hack/debian/kde/elisa.salsa/autotests/mediaplaylisttest.cpp(6130)]
QWARN  : MediaPlayListTest::randomAndContinuePlayList()
QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name
'testDbDirectContent', old connection removed.
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::randomAndContinuePlayList() database open
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::randomAndContinuePlayList() DatabaseInterface::init yes
FAIL!  : MediaPlayListTest::randomAndContinuePlayList() Compared values are not
the same
   Loc:
[/home/coucouf/hack/debian/kde/elisa.salsa/autotests/mediaplaylisttest.cpp(6262)]
…
QWARN  : MediaPlayListTest::testSaveAndRestoreSettings()
QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name
'testDbDirectContent', old connection removed.
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::testSaveAndRestoreSettings() database open
QDEBUG : MediaPlayListTest::testSaveAndRestoreSettings()
DatabaseInterface::init yes
FAIL!  : MediaPlayListTest::testSaveAndRestoreSettings() Compared values are
not the same
   Loc:
[/home/coucouf/hack/debian/kde/elisa.salsa/autotests/mediaplaylisttest.cpp(6620)]
Totals: 47 passed, 3 failed, 0 skipped, 0 blacklisted, 1227ms
********* Finished testing of MediaPlayListTest *********

13/15 Test  #5: manageaudioplayerTest ............***Failed    4.46 sec
********* Start testing of ManageAudioPlayerTest *********
Config: Using QtTest library 5.11.1, Qt 5.11.1 (x86_64-little_endian-lp64
shared (dynamic) release build; by GCC 8.1.0)
…
FAIL!  : ManageAudioPlayerTest::skipNextTrackWithRandomPlay() Compared values
are not the same
   Actual   (playerSourceChangedSpy.count()): 1
   Expected (2)                             : 2
   Loc:
[/home/coucouf/hack/debian/kde/elisa.salsa/autotests/manageaudioplayertest.cpp(1490)]
…
Totals: 20 passed, 1 failed, 0 skipped, 0 blacklisted, 4396ms
********* Finished testing of ManageAudioPlayerTest *********

4. Incorrect repo URL on the Elisa community page
The Elisa page on the KDE Community website [3] refers to an outdated or
incorrect repository, the URL if found to be correct is at [4].

Also if you have any feedback on the packaging for things that are incorrect or
should be improved you’re very much welcome to contact me, or even propose
Merge Requests in our GitLab repository at [0].

I’m not subscribed to this list due to the Google clickwall required for
subscription so you may want to copy me in your responses.

[0] https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team/extras/elisa
[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.en.html
[2]
https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team/extras/elisa/blob/master/debian/patches/move-private-lib-to-subfolder