[dot] Nokia Give Out N810s to KDE Hackers at Akademy

Dot Stories stories at kdenews.org
Wed Aug 13 00:42:13 CEST 2008

From: jospoortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>
Dept: Gadgets-everywhere
Date: Tuesday12/Aug/2008, @15:41

Nokia Give Out N810s to KDE Hackers at Akademy

   During the Emsys-sponsored Mobile and Embedded day at Akademy 2008
Nokia distributed 100 N810 internet tablets among the KDE hackers, and
gave another 50 for the project to decide who to give to. Read on for
more.
    Queueing for their free N810s
     During the Emsys-sponsored [http://emsys.denayer.wenk.be/] Mobile
and Embedded day [http://akademy.kde.org/events/emmobile.php] at Akademy
2008 [http://akademy2008.kde.org] Nokia [http://www.nokia.com]
distributed 100 N810 internet tablets among the KDE hackers, and gave
another 40 for the project to decide who to give to.

     Kate Alhola, head of the Maemo [http://maemo.org/] development
team, told us: "We would like to have more Open Source applications on
the Maemo platform, and giving these devices to the KDE developers will
help them write those. Besides, it's great to give to the FOSS
community. We have used FOSS software and products for a long time and
have just began to contribute back, both in terms of code and
sponsorship. We realize our infrastructure depends on FOSS developers to
grow, and we wanted to emphasize our commitment to the FOSS community.
After all, we definitely are the largest mobile devices manufacturer who
considers FOSS a key asset and we're heavily expanding our involvement,
focussing more on the Qt development community."

     Sebastian Kügler, KDE e.V. board member noted: "Many KDE hackers
have been interested in developing applications for the Maemo Platform,
and now they can. We welcome the Maemo Community to work with us on
getting the power of KDE available to the Maemo users!"
   Stephan ports openSUSE to the N810
     We found another board member, Adriaan, apparently without a N810.
Asked about it, he told us: "I just gave away mine because the other guy
had better reasons to have one". KDE developers are playing with their
devices everywhere, and it's a testament to the great work of the
Akademy organization on the network everybody is still able to browse
the web. We can expect to see many Maemo-related blogs and code pop up
in the coming months!