[dot] NLnet Gives KOffice a New Logo and Sponsors ODF development

Dot Stories stories at kdenews.org
Fri Apr 18 14:20:36 CEST 2008

From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
Dept: beuro
Date: Friday 18/Apr/2008, @05:18

NLnet Gives KOffice a New Logo and Sponsors ODF development

   The Dutch NLnet foundation [http://nlnet.nl] aims to financially
support organisations and people that contribute to an open information
society. Some time ago they decided to help KOffice in two exciting
ways: to sponsor the design of a new logo for KOffice, with matching
logo designs for all KOffice applications, and to sponsor Girish
Ramakrishnan to improve the ODF support in KWord 2.0. The KOffice team
is deeply grateful to NLnet for this support!

     Girish Ramakrishnan, a former Trolltech employee, has already
started on implementing a thorough test suite for ODF text loading.
Helping him are Thomas Zander and Thorsten Zachmann, two old-time
members of the KOffice team. In his own words:

"I am working on getting ODF support up to speed in KWord, my work being
sponsored by NLNet. As the first step, I have spent my time now
automating the ODF testsuite at the OpenDocument Fellowship....

"So far, I have found some basic tests are failing - loading of lists,
possibly superfluous spaces/blocks. I have patches coming up."

     KOffice has done without a real logo forever: we used to use the
application icon of KOShell, a rainbow, but that was hardly a real logo,
and besides, everybody, including the primary school your correspondent
attended, uses a rainbow. But coming up with a good logo is hard, and we
postponed and postponed the task.

     But then NLnet proposed to retain the services of designer Michiel
van Kleef of 30 Media [http://www.30.nl]. Michiel was faced with a very
hard brief: to design a logo, not an icon, for KOffice which combines
business and creativity in one, integrated package. After consultation
with the KOffice team we arrived at the following logo:

     This great design suggested to Michiel the possibility of doing
variations on it for the individual applications that KOffice consists
of. While KOffice itself has got the KDE color blue, the business
applications get orange:

     And the graphical applications get purple (and it's good to see
that Karbon2 opens the official SVG sources correctly):

     KPlato, the project planner application that is coming along
amazingly well for KOffice 2.0 is the odd one out, and gets red:

     The helper applications KChart and KFormula are green:

     There is also a logo for Kugar, the report writing component in
KOffice 1, which will probably be replaced by Adam Pigg's promising new
report component in KOffice 2:
 [http://www.piggz.co.uk/]
     All with a subtle, but apposite variations on the design in the
circle.

     Now all that remains to be done is updating the KOffice website
[http://www.koffice.org] and prepare some t-shirts for Akademy!