[dot] openSUSE Packaging Days II Tomorrow

Dot Stories stories at kdenews.org
Thu Apr 3 18:39:41 CEST 2008

From: Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <zonker at opensuse.org>
Dept: big-box-little-box
Date: Thursday03/Apr/2008, @07:17

openSUSE Packaging Days II Tomorrow
===================================

   Ever run into the issue that you saw a cool new app on KDE-Apps.org
[http://www.kde-apps.org] and could not find a binary package for your
favourite KDE version on your favourite KDE distro? The openSUSE Build
Service [http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service] allows creation of binary
packages quite easily, so you can do the work yourself and help other
KDE users who run into the same problem. If you are interested in
learning how, the openSUSE community are organising Packaging Days II
[http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Packaging_Day], which starts tomorrow.

     Members of the openSUSE team will be available for any help with
packaging from Australian morning on Friday, April 4th to American
evening on Saturday, April 5th in the #opensuse-buildservice IRC channel
on Freenode.

     We will help new packagers to create packages for software that is
not currently available for openSUSE. We invite people to roll up their
sleeves and get involved. If you have this fancy application or tool
that is not packaged yet, and you are not afraid to learn how to do it
yourself, then this is for you.  The openSUSE Build Service has KDE
3.5.x, 4.0.x, and 4.1.x packages updated weekly, so it is easy to
package software that requires the most recent KDE.

     This will be a good opportunity for people who have hitherto done
little or no packaging to learn how to do it, with helpful people
available to answer all the  questions you might have related to
packaging.