[dot] KDE Thanks Rob Levin

Dot Stories stories at kdenews.org
Tue Sep 19 12:49:46 CEST 2006

From: Jes Hall <>
Dept: we'll-miss-you
Date: Tuesday 19/Sep/2006, @03:21

KDE Thanks Rob Levin
====================

   We knew him as Lilo.  He was the founder of the Freenode IRC network,
a place where many open source projects established a real-time meeting
ground. Freenode is where we work, play, and share. It is where many a
small idea has grown into a large project. It is where we are all
enriched by the experience and diversity of a group of people from many
cultures who all have in common a love of open source.

     KDE has benefited greatly from this virtual meeting-hall. We have
dozens of channels where ideas are discussed, contributors are mentored
and users are supported. Many more recent KDE sub-projects had their
start on freenode and still flourish there. Lilo was a common fixture in
most of these channels, personally dealing with issues like harassment
or spamming, making freenode a safer environment for all.

     What KDE owes to Freenode cannot be expressed easily or lightly.

     Thank you Rob Levin. You will be sorely missed.