[dot] One Week Until Akademy 2006

Dot Stories stories at kdenews.org
Sun Sep 17 00:48:23 CEST 2006

From: Jonathan Riddell <>
Dept: kde-world-summit
Date: Saturday 16/Sep/2006, @15:42

One Week Until Akademy 2006
===========================

   There is now less than one week to go until KDE developers meet with
our users and industry supporters at Trinity College Dublin for our
annual KDE World Summit, Akademy 2006.  We are pleased to announce a
further two sponsors to our long list [http://dot.kde.org/1156144808/].
Office automation equipment manufacturer Ricoh
[http://conference2006.kde.org/sponsors/#ricoh] and mobile phone company
Nokia [http://conference2006.kde.org/sponsors/#nokia] are now both
silver supporters.  Read on for the keynote speakers and some more
useful information.

     Our conference programme
[http://conference2006.kde.org/conference/program.php] is one of the
strongest we have had, full of fascinating talks and demonstrations.
Akademy will be opened with an introduction from the Head of the Irish
Office of Science, Technology and Innovation, Ned Costello. The opening
keynote [http://conference2006.kde.org/conference/talks/keynote1.php] is
from Aaron Seigo with a reflective talk called Looking Ourselves In The
Eye.  After lunch we welcome John Cherry from OSDL
[http://conference2006.kde.org/conference/talks/keynote2.php] with a
keynote talk on The State of the Linux Desktop.  Sunday's keynote
[http://conference2006.kde.org/conference/talks/keynote4.php] is from
Ciaran O'Riordan of FSF Europe talking about the problems of software
patents.

     As well as many of KDE's greatest developers and contributors, the
programme also hosts talks from those in other Free Software communities
including Keith Packard from X.org, Waldo Bastian from freedesktop.org
and Anne Østergaard & John Palmieri from Gnome.

     The Birds of a Feather sessions
[http://conference2006.kde.org/codingmarathon/bof.php] are filling up
fast, including sessions on Strigi the exciting new desktop search
framework, Kubuntu with Mark Shuttleworth, GPL v3 with the Free Software
Foundation Europe, a beginners Qt Tutorial from Mirko Böhm, the HCI day
on Wednesday and many more.

     For those of you coming to the British Isles for the first time we
have some good news: you will be supplied with a universal power adaptor
courtesy of sponsor Trolltech, so you can plug in to the mains power
without any re-wiring.

     Check the Arrival at Akademy wiki page
[http://wiki.kde.org/Arrival+%40+aKademy+2006] to find out if others
will be at the airport at the same time as you.  If you are arriving on
the Friday come to The Lloyd Institute in Trinity before 18:00 or
Kennedy's pub after 18:00, both marked on the conference map page.
 [http://conference2006.kde.org/organization/map.php]