Can we depend on timedated?

Bart Ribbers bribbers at disroot.org
Sun Jul 23 22:23:46 BST 2023

On Sunday, 23 July 2023 22:55:01 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Anyway, let's leave it at that to my current knowledge this is not
> covered in Devuan, Alpine and Void.

I can answer at least for the Alpine side. We indeed do not ship systemd, but
so far that hasn't really been a problem. timedated is as far as I know
available in Alpine through openrc-settingsd, which is maintained by Luca
Weiss who is also a KDE Plasma user _and_ a postmarketOS/Alpine developer. So
from our side, depending on the timedated DBus service is not a problem.

So yeah OpenRC systems should "just" package openrc-settingsd. I don't know
about FreeBSD or runit systems.