Falkon: Add qt quickcontrols{, 2} as optional dependencies for QML extensions

Lisandro Damian Nicanor Perez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:46:16 GMT 2023

On martes, 14 de febrero de 2023 19:03:33 -03 Juraj Oravec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask potential Falkon package maintainers to add qtquick
> related packages as an optional (?) dependency.
>
> I do not know how qtquick is structured, so I can only guess.
>
> For start I would like to add these optional dependencies:
> - quickcontrols
> - quickcontrols2
>
> Or maybe only the "quickcontrols2"? Here, my knowledge is lacking.
>
> This is because Falkon extensions can be written in QML and distributed
> through falkon store[1] and they can use QtQuick for GUI.
>
> On this thought, adding "kirigami" might be a good idea as well.

I was actually just (as in 3 minutes ago) discussing a very very similar topic
with TQtC folks. The problem with QML is that there is no way to know
beforehand that you depend on a certain qml module, except maybe looking at
the source code of the application itself.

Yes, we could make Falkon depend on more QML packages, but what would happen
if at some point the whole set of Falkon extensions covers 80% of the QML
world? Should a user install that amount of QML modules "just in case" it is
needed at some point?

If Falkon can use QML in it's extensions *ideally* it should be making
explicit which qml modules it needs.

So the question is: what is exactly/how do you define a QML module? The
approach at Debian (which I'm not saying it's correct or "the law", just our
approach) is:

https://qt-kde-team.pages.debian.net/qmlmodulesnaming.html

If we could somehow tell the user "in order to install this extension you need
foo and var QML modules" then it would be just great.