translation completion checking

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sat Dec 18 18:51:01 GMT 2021

Hi!

Am Fr., 17. Dez. 2021 um 16:46 Uhr schrieb Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org>:

> hola
>
> it appears I've never told anyone about this awesome feature :O so
> here it goes...
>
> if you are in the unfortunate situation that your distro package
> manage doesn't manage to completely localize packages it installs you
> may find that your users can end up with incomplete localization (e.g.
> missing l10n packages or fonts or the like).
>
> for that purpose there's a completion checker logic in the language
> kcm that you can build upon to implement completion checking and
> installation for your distro [1]. the kcm is currently in the process
> of getting merged into the locale kcm so you might want to hold off
> with adding your distro, but the logic will stay the same anyway so
> you can at least think about how you might want to implement this
> stuff.

There's actually an AppStream feature which would allow KDE to
implement this on its own (possibly via PackageKit):
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Localization.html

The idea is that separate language packs ship the l10n component
metainfo file for the specific language (thereby tagging it in all
Linux distributions) and later a system-wide locale install tool can
query the component index for providers of the language pack
component.
AFAIK this is currently used by Fedora on GNOME, and using it will
require some plumbing (the metainfo files for language packs are
easiest to maintain if they are just generated automatically by a
tool), but maybe that's an idea for KDE to use as well?
With something like this, distributors wouldn't need to add dedicated
support, and would just need to make sure that their packaging is
sane.

Cheers,
    Matthias