Qt5 WebEngine and Python3

A. Wilcox awilfox at adelielinux.org
Mon Sep 28 02:24:51 BST 2020

On 27/09/2020 10:36, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Sunday, September 27, 2020 16:59 CEST, Neal Gompa
> <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Demon offspring of our own web thing" is an utterly appropriate
>> way to describe this. :)
>>
>> If I am allowed to grumble for a second, I wish Qt hadn't dropped
>> QtWebKit. Unlike QtWebEngine, QtWebKit was much more nicely
>> integrated into the stack and didn't suffer from nearly as much
>> insanity.
>>
>> It's a shame that it's gone and we're stuck with this. :(
>
> It isn't gone, there's a more or less active fork, last commit 6 days
> ago. https://github.com/qtwebkit/qtwebkit/tree/qtwebkit-dev But of
> course since it has been dropped from Qt, pretty much everything that
> used to use it has moved on, and I doubt we want to depend on both.

It isn't really dropped from Qt:

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebkit.git/ last commit 3 days ago

There are even snapshot tarball downloads done every so often:

https://download.qt.io/snapshots/ci/qtwebkit/5.212/latest/src/submodules/

The only reason Adélie can't ship KDE PIM is because it depends on
WebEngine.  We have a strict rule that only packages that build on all
our Tier 1 platforms can be shipped, and WebEngine doesn't meet that
requirement - it won't work on PowerPC at all (on purpose because
Chromium won't take patches), and fails to build on ARMv7 as well.  It
also fails tests on x86.

Moving back to WebKit would have other benefits.  WebKit is better
integrated (as Neal mentioned), uses less memory, and of course as
mentioned above is more portable :)

It also doesn't require EoL Python.

Finally, Alkimia, Kdenlive, and Umbrello all thankfully still use it.
We do not have to drop them from our packages so far.

Just my 2cents as a distro packager.

Best,
--arw

--