Qt5 WebEngine and Python3

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 15:59:40 BST 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 4:53 AM Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi distro-peeps,
>
> If you, like me, are concerned about Qt5 WebEngine and how that is supposed to
> handle the deprecation of Python2 -- with all of Google's wretched build
> system and internals embedded inside -- then a port to Python3 is necessary,
> if only to keep Qt5 5.15.1 building after Python 2.7 really goes away.
>
> I sat down for two weekends -- if KDE could build a better CORBA in one
> weekend (it did) and create an entire Free Software web renderer (it did) then
> surely fixing the demon offspring of our own web thing is also doable. The
> results are in the FreeBSD port as one big patch to the Python bits of the
> qt5-webengine tarball; apply them after configure.

"Demon offspring of our own web thing" is an utterly appropriate way
to describe this. :)

If I am allowed to grumble for a second, I wish Qt hadn't dropped
QtWebKit. Unlike QtWebEngine, QtWebKit was much more nicely integrated
into the stack and didn't suffer from nearly as much insanity.

It's a shame that it's gone and we're stuck with this. :(