Datetime kcm

Méven meven29 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:26:50 GMT 2020

Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 12:45, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> a écrit :

> On Monday, 3 February 2020 15:37:56 CET Méven wrote:
> > I am working on the datetime kcm and some cleanup would be welcomed there
> > IMHO.
> >
> > Currently, it has two code path, one for timedated/systemd and an older
> one
> > trying to use ntpdate or rdate with a hardcoded list of ntp servers.
> >
> > I'd like to know if anyone is using / relying on the old ntpdate code
> path.
>
> FreeBSD uses the ntpdate version. Trying to set the date automatically
> yields
> an uniformative error -- probably a permissions problem.

Alright thanks.

However, ntpdate is slowly going away, and users are expected to run ntpd
> instead. That would make the whole "set automatically" part redundant for
> us,
> at some unspecified point in time.

That was my main concern.
I guess we have no reason to change things right now.
In the future "set automatically" could reflect the ntpd status.

The hard-coded servers are the usual pools. On the FreeBSD side, the pools
> are
> usually listed as 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org , rather than geographically,
> but
> that's a minor thing.

Btw this can be overloaded in kcmclockrc, group NTP, key servers.

So I will leave the code as is for the time being.

--
Méven