Fwd: Synchronized release schedule for Plasma

Rik Mills rikmills at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 17:57:48 GMT 2020

The current schedule does in fact mostly work for Kubuntu.

We do not want to be shipping on the ISO and in the main Ubuntu archive
an early .0, .1, .2, etc point release which perhaps still has
significant bugs yet to fix.

Currently the Plasma schedule allows up to have the latest Plasma which
has had plenty of bugfixing love applied, which is usually the .4 or .5
point release.

Adjusting the Plasma schedule so that a initial .0 Plasma release comes
just in time for our freeze dates would be of little to zero benefit, as
we would never ship that to end users as part of an official K/Ubuntu
release. Instead, as we do when we can, we have "here is something for
you to test if you want" build in a PPA, which is not beholden to the
distro and Plasma release cadence.

Rik Mills
Kubuntu