Heads up with one kdenlive dependency for 19.04: rttr

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Fri Mar 29 13:13:13 GMT 2019

Hello,

as part of Applications 19.04 I found out that kdenlive added a new dependency
in the form of the rttr library. The current approach present in the
repository however is far than ideal, because it is configured to only link
against a statically built rttr as opposed to a shared library, due to some
unspecified problems (mentioned on IRC, but I didn't have time to further ask
questions). This means that even if rttr is present, cmake will fail (the
target has a different name if it's static or dynamic)

Most of the distributions would build it as a shared library, so this point
needs investigation. I'm currently testing linking and building against rttr
built as a shared library (people in #kdenlive mentioned some issues, but I
had no time to follow up).

For distributions in general, you may need to be aware of a couple of issues
with rttr:

- Currently you need to disable building examples or they won't build
(https://github.com/rttrorg/rttr/issues/224)
- cmake is configured to install header files only owner readable, making them
useless when installed system wide (only root would be able to read them;
https://github.com/rttrorg/rttr/issues/147; https://github.com/rttrorg/rttr/
pull/228)

The kdenlive team said they might be planning to bundle rttr. As a packager I
hope it is not the case. Most distributions are against bundling for many good
reasons.

--
Luca Beltrame
GPG key ID: A29D259B