Request of a new release of qtcurve

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Sep 17 09:48:21 BST 2018

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Yichao Yu <yyc1992 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It's all documented in:
> > https://community.kde.org/ReleasingSoftware
> >
> > If you use releaseme to create the tarball, it will inject the translations
> > there. It also provide tagme.rb which creates the tag.
> >
> > I will copy the translations to track the 1.9 branch, so that they can be used
> > from tomorrow.
>
> OK, so it took a few trials but I think I got it right now. The
> tarball I made is here[1] if anyone want to check before I upload it.
> I still find it a bit strange though that the tag is created after the
> tarball.........

The tag is created after the tarball because

a) you may wish to test the tarball and want to fix issues you may find
b) you may choose to pre-release the tarball to distros for review
before finalizing it, which also may reveal issues that need fixing
c) to not accidentally tag. various people run tarme for various
reasons (e.g. to create git snapshots for distros). It'd be highly
awkward if that automatically lead to bogus tags on the repo due to
carelessness

Since we don't force push to KDE repositories, the moment you tag you
need to be sure that the release is in fact up to standards. And
that's why the process is split in two.
It's fairly analogous to how in git you make a commit that you can
still change and revisit before you push it in a separate command.

HS