What to do with potential workflow-changing / breaking changes - the other way around

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Mar 27 16:38:14 BST 2017

Hi distros,

today the same thread the other way around. We are currently seeing many
users complaining about mouse acceleration settings being broken. This
is because some distributions switched to xorg-libinput by default and
that is no longer compatible to our code. (See for example
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/61owi7/kde_ships_beta_of_kde_applications_1704/dfghmq0/
)

We simply didn't expect any major breakage on the x11 stack and focused
on Wayland. Due to that the input module supports Wayland (through
libinput), but only xorg core and fails for xorg-libinput (oh the
irony).

If distros would have told us let's say half a year prior to the change
we would have been able to schedule some resources on it and ensure that
it continues to work. Even better would have been a pre announcement way
before we started to work on the Wayland part so that we could have
designed the code to support all three xorg-core, xorg-libinput and
Wayland. Now it's difficult.

So in general: please pre-announce major stack transitions which could
break our code. We all look bad if things break.

Cheers
Martin