Translations of xkeyboard-config

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jan 22 16:09:04 GMT 2017

Hi distributions,

I noticed today that on some distributions the translations of the
source package xkeyboard-config [1] are not installed by default. The
translations are essential for the keyboard layout configuration.
Without it all layouts are only provided in English which means a
non-English speaking user is probably unable to configure the keyboard.

To illustrate the issue:
https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/qkymmfh5ljKFP9E
vs
https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/L7Jr0Y5eWDlR81w

In both screenshots the KCM is loaded for German translations. In the
one the xkeyboard-config translations are missing and all layouts are
English. In the other case the xkeyboard-config translations are present
and all layouts are properly localized (except for the typo in
"Englisch").

I kindly request that you check whether your distribution installs the
translations and if not to fix this. I assume that this is not only
relevant for Plasma, but for all desktop environments providing keyboard
layout configuration based on xkeyboard-config.

To give you the information I have. On Debian based distributions the
package in question is called:
xkb-data

The relevant translation files are installed to:
/usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/xkeyboard-config.mo

On e.g. Ubuntu and derivatives (the distro on which I noticed the
problem) the translations are provided by xkb-data-i18n and not
installed by default.

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/Software/XKeyboardConfig