Can Plasma 5.9 depend on Qt 5.7

Richard Brown RBrownCCB at opensuse.org
Tue Oct 25 11:50:56 BST 2016

Hi Martin,

The initial openSUSE view is as follows:

For openSUSE Leap, this decision will likely mean that we will have to
remain with Qt 5.6 and Plasma 5.8 for the life of Leap 42.3 in order
to preserve our stability expectations of our users.

As we discussed with you at oSC, Qt version jumps seem to bring a very
high risk of breakages across a very broad scope, and I expect it
would probably be too much of a risk to take in Leap 42.3.

Leap 42.3's release is currently expected Q3/4 2017

The expected lifecycle of Leap 42.3 would mean I'd expect it to be
supported for ~18 months from that point.

This means in one way or another we'll have to find a way to support
Plasma 5.8 until the middle of 2019

This is of course much longer than the currently announced lifecycle
of Plasma 5.8, which I understand will end about the middle of 2018.

A 'year in the wilderness' is quite an uncomfortable situation for us
to consider.

We'd need to have a lot of discussions between our Release Team and
KDE maintainers to figure out if we even have a feasible solution for
coping with such a situation.

For openSUSE Tumbleweed, I imagine this presents no problem as we're
already using Qt 5.7 there

Hope this helps,

Richard