How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at slackware.com
Sat Mar 26 12:56:43 GMT 2016

On Saturday 26 March 2016 01:41:10 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> How well does GNOME run on a distribution without systemd? Does it run at
> all? From what I see on the Gentoo wiki [1], GNOME needs to be patched in
> order to run with openRC, and it wasn't GNOME who provided that patchset.

GNOME has a history of making questionable choices. I'm not entirely sure how
productive it is to bring *this particular* argument into the discussion. IMHO
the times when KDE needed to compare itself to GNOME are over. So let's just
let GNOME be GNOME and focus back on KDE.

> As Martin put it: Patches to make our software work without systemd are
> always welcome, people calling us "crazy" are not.

Just to be fair here, and to repeat what Eric said earlier, don't take this as
a verbatim statement. All this was is an outcry of surprise on a blog targeted
to Slackware users. It would be different it it were syndicated on Planet KDE,
and wording should have been different in that case, I agree. But point
remains, no ill meaning was attached to that statement.

> > As an aside - if KDE is prepared to be more flexible in order to
> > support *BSD distributions, where does this attitude that all Linux
> > distributions should conform to a template of KDE's choosing come
> > from? It seems to me to be a double standard that seems to be lacking
> > an anchor in common sense as far as I can parse.
>
> From what I've been told, the BSDs are actively working on offering
> compatibility layers for missing things like logind instead of saying "[BSD]
> does not have a steenking systemd". Why can't Slackware do the same?

Maybe a bit of background info can help clear things up. There's comparably
very few people maintaining Slackware than other distros. You can count them
on your hands. Of those people, there's only some with coding expertise. And
of those, very few have time to look into coding problems we would need to
solve to make the KDE stack run better.

BUT really, I don't see a problem here. On either side. The problem with
logind was known for a long time, and affected more than just KDE or Slackware.
Luckily someone stepped up and presented a solution in form of ConsoleKit2
(which a Slackware team member contributed to, btw), and ConsoleKit2 support
is available in various places in KDE software. Martin even said so in his
first post. So let's not make this another systemd discussion and focus back on
the points Martin raised initially.

Grs,
Heinz