How to announce new optional dependencies? [was: What KDE would like distributions to do]

Fabian K. 0inkane at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:42:29 GMT 2016

Regarding

> * we need to mark the optional, but in truth required dependencies

For those dependencies, would it be an option to replace

find_package(AwesomeLinuxOnlyLib)

with

option(UseAwesomeLib "Don't touch if you're a Linux distro" ON)

if(UseAwesomeLib)

find_package(AwesomeLinuxOnlyLib REQUIRED)

endif()

With that, one would get a build error with the default configuration if
the

dependency is not met, and non-Linux distributions could still disable it
by

passing -DUseAwesomeLib=OFF to cmake.

This would cause slightly more work for non-Linux distributions, but I'd
wager

that this is not a huge obstacle.

Of course, documenting new dependencies (via XML or whatever else) would be
welcome and would avoid the initial build error.

Fabian