How to track the backport of important fixes?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Mar 9 21:50:04 GMT 2016

Am 2016-03-09 21:38, schrieb Elvis Angelaccio:

>> On Monday, 7 March 2016 00:02:36 CET Elvis Angelaccio wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> there is a problem that hit me recently that I would like to
>> discuss in
>>> this new list.
>>>
>>> The issue is the following: due to incompatibilities between
>> different
>>> release schedules, it may happen that a serious bug is introduced
>> on a dead
>>> branch (i.e. a branch that won't see any new upstream release).
>>>
>>> In these cases, distributions who are stuck to those dead
>> branches (because
>>> of some policy X) are supposed to backport the fixes. If this
>> does not
>>> happen, the users of those distributions will be affected by
>> serious bugs
>>> and this results in a bad reputation for KDE.
>>>
>>> This happened recently with Ark and Kubuntu.
>>> The release of KXMLGui 5.17 exposed a serious bug in (at least)
>> Ark and
>>> Kate. Since at that time the Applications/15.08 branch was
>> end-of-life, the
>>> bugfix was released on master and (most) distributions got it
>> with the
>>> following Application 15.12 release.
>>>
>>> However, at least Kubuntu has been stuck with Ark < 15.12 and
>> KXMLGui >=
>>> 5.17, and their users get the Ark process to hang when closing
>> the app.
>>
>> I just talked to two KDE developers and this is what I got from the
>> conversation was that the situation above simply should not have
>> happened.
>>
>> Any bugs that happen in a specific version should be fixed in that
>> stable
>> branch.
>
> Even if the stable branch is end-of-life?

yes, end-of-life at a time where the next stable is not yet released,
doesn't mean there cannot be patches any more. E.g. the lockscreen
vulnerability fix went to all branches starting from 5.0.

Also if it is severe enough it's always possible to do another bug fix
release even for an end-of-life version.

Cheers
Martin