Welcome everybody! - What can we do for you?

H W Tovetjärn totte at chakraos.org
Fri Mar 4 07:17:08 GMT 2016

Hi,

I'm a contributor to Chakra and mostly see about our infrastructure. I
have previously maintained the KDE SC packages (back in the days of 4.x).

What constitutes the Plasma experience you want the users to have and
the distributions to deliver? Most of what I learned about packaging KDE
software was through trial and error as well as following in the
footsteps of other distributions. I may be missing something obvious
here but I never found anything on the three KDE wikis aside from this:
https://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build.  I would personally find
a set of guidelines (at minimum) or a well written policy and protocol
(especially concerning patches not accepted upstream) helpful.

On 03/03/16 21:41, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> - Do you feel well enough informed about which packages from KDE are needed
> for a decent Plasma experience?

I would expect KDE to define what it considers *decent* first, perhaps a
set of guidelines as stated above. Something technical and tangible, not
subjective and prone to misinterpretation. If you are referring to which
packages we should have installed by default then guidelines would be
useful here too. Please provide a link to them if they already exist and
I missed them.

> - Do we communicate clearly enough under which circumstances (kernel, drivers,
> libraries, configuration, paths, whatever) our software works best?

There are occasionally some mails on the kde-packager at kde.org mailing
list, but a specific and complete source of information would be greatly
appreciated.

> - Do available feedback channels work well enough in case of questions or
> problems with distributing our software?

IRC channels are usually rather dormant (especially #kde, my personal
experience is that a user is more likely to find the help s/he needs in
the channel for his/her distribution) but that may not be strictly
related. I'm fine with the mailing list and bugtracker. I'd appreciate
an IRC channel for packagers but perhaps it would be better to allow for
these questions in #kde-devel to not cause fragmentation.

> - Do you find customization of our software for a distribution-unique user
> experience easy enough?
> - Do we offer enough branding opportunities?

Since the VDG does a considerable amount of work, would KDE as a whole
rather see their work as a part of distributions than downstream
creations or adaptions? I'm asking because I'd like to know if having
their work the default is part of the "decent Plasma experience".

I think it's fair to say that you offer enough branding opportunities as
it is.

--
Best regards,
H W "totte" Tovetjärn