source code pro font vs noto font

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Jul 22 11:06:38 BST 2016

> Why would a desktop environment have a hard-coded requirement for the Mono
> font which has to be adopted by downstream? Look at ROSA who have to apply
> patches to give preference to their own font choices.

There's a desire by the design team to have a full experience from
boot to desktop and back to shutdown.  Specifying default font is
nothing new and every other desktop/OS does it.

> I do not want to be forced to add this Adobe font. It was bad enough when we
> had to swallow the Noto fonts. Why are fonts like Droid, Liberation, Vera or
> DejaVu not good enough? Every distro has one or more of those installed.

Noto is the successor to Droid, we much move with the times to stay relevant.

Hack seems like a good choice for a mono font now it's been pointed
out to me, that's the successor to Vera and DejaVu so again it's
nothing new.

Jonathan