How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 10:12:58 BST 2016

On Dienstag, 12. April 2016 14:11:16 CEST Richard Brown wrote:
> On 12 April 2016 at 13:21, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> >> That's a shame :(

> >> Driver Regressions - Yes. We have the 'GeneralHW' backend which allows
> >> us to use arbitrary IP KVM VNC devices (eg
> >> http://www.adder.com/products/adderlink-ipeps ) to look at the real
> >> VGA output of actual video cards. This is already fully implimented
> >> and used inside SUSE.
> >
> > so you have multiple hardware like one server with
> > * Intel IvyBridge
> > * Intel SandyBridge
> > * Intel Haswell
> > * same matrix for AMD cards
> > * same matrix for NVIDIA cards
> > * in the last two cases running all tests with prop and free driver
> >
> > That would be awesome!
>
> For something like that you'd need an openQA server, several IP KVM
> devices like the adderlink-ipeps, then at least 1 physical machine for
> each of those different cards you want to test
>
> openQA can happily handle the OS & driver installs
>
> _In theory_ you can remove the need of the IP KVM devices and the
> physical machines by using techniques like
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
>
> But I don't have a server full of graphic cards to play with the idea
> (We do have full OVMF support in openQA, that's how we test UEFI, so
> it certainly appears feasible)

See, that is the problem: Neither does KDE, and we most likely won't have the
resources to get one any time soon.

Problems with hardware configurations are - as Martin already said - one of the
biggest reasons why we still rely on manual testing by our users. We don't
like this situation, either, but we currently don't see any way around it.

Should openSUSE at some point be fortunate enough to have such a testing rig
in place for your own testing, we would of course be eternally grateful if we
could maaaybe run our tests on it as well.

Our "Commitments of a KDE Project" document [1] states that "Online services
associated with the project are either hosted on KDE infrastructure or have an
action plan that ensures continuity which is approved by the KDE system
administration team". That does not mean we can't run tests on other
organizations' systems, though. It just aims to ensure that, should anything
happen which makes these systems unavailable for our tests in the future, we
can easily move them to someplace else
I'm sure such an "action plan" could be devised with openSUSE, though.

So, this is basically where we're at: Everybody is willing to improve the
situation, but in the end it comes down to the filthy lucre (in this case
available hardware).
Maybe we can find a creative solution to this problem? Maybe jointly ask for
hardware donations from all our stakeholders (including users who might have
older - but still relevant - hardware to spare)?

It would be great for all of us if we could somehow solve this problem!
Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://manifesto.kde.org/commitments.html