kdelibs breeze by default

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 11:17:46 BST 2015

Dearest Packagers,

Kindly note that I pushed a fancy branch called
sitter/breeze-by-default/4.14 to kdelibs. This branch seeks to switch
the default theming in kdelibs from oxygen to breeze.
There also is an associated review, but since I doubt anyone will want
to shipit a runtime dependencies change like that I doubt that will
get through, instead feel free to push additions to the aforementioned
branch if you wish to make sure that kdelibs4 apps integrate somewhat
even without kde4breeze run.

Also do note that this change flips the runtime dependencies from the
oxygen-icons to the breeze-icons (part of breeze tarball at the time
of writing) as well as the oxygen style (qt4) to the breeze style
(also qt4, also part of breeze tarball). So where ever you manage
these deps packaging-wise, make sure to update them.

Use case: when running a kdelibs app as root, outside a complete root
session (e.g. sudoing the app), kde4breeze (the theme alignment
helper) is not run and the hardcoded defaults are used to determine
the theming of the app. This means that such apps use oxygen all the
way. This makes them look terribly out of place in a default setup and
is pretty meh.

(yes, this change does nothing to address the underlying problem of
theme misalignment between sudo'd apps and user apps, but quite
frankly I still think applications should simply be fixed to not
require sudoing them in the first place.. e.g. add elevated privilege
mode in dolphin).

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/125529/

HS