Fwd: Logind Requirements for Future Plasma

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 14:55:02 BST 2015

Packagers,

Martin's email reminded me of one I need to send on behalf of our
powermanagement team.

For Plasma 5.5, (not the current release, nor the next release, but the one
after that) we will be having a runtime dependency on a logind
implementation, dropping our legacy support.

Given there are existing maintained abstraction layers out there it doesn't
make sense for us to also support our own abstraction layer in our code.
It is an area of many bugs in power management and user switching, and it's
in everyone's interest to simplify it so we all use maintained code paths.

This means either:
Systemd

LoginKit (logind compatible api on top of ConsoleKit2);

systemd-shim (limited support for some of the systemd apis);

systembsd (a reimplementation of the systemd apis portable to BSD
distributions).

If logind is not available many features will cease to work, notable
current logind users are:

* suspend/hibernate
* user switching
   - session listing in lock screen, krunner, actual switching
* new user manager KCM
* lock screen
* suspend inhibitions
* bluedevil save/restore on suspend
* kwin wayland

If there are any problems when using one of the shims, let us know and I'll
be happy to help out. We encourage distros that will use a shim to test
early so we have time to make sure we don't have any problems.

David