Uploading photographs from a Google pixel?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Sep 13 19:53:35 BST 2026


On 9/12/26 18:21, Randolph M. Fritz wrote:
> Does anyone have a straightforward recipe to do this? I've been 
> sharing the files with Quick drop, but it's clumsy and location data 
> is getting lost. Are there alternatives? Or should I be asking over on 
> the gphoto list or perhaps pixls.us <http://pixls.us>?
> --
> Randolph M. Fritz || rmfritz3 at gmail.com
>
>
I have two old Pixels and have them set up to automatically copy new 
photos to a desktop machine.  I use Syncthing to do that - see 
http://syncthing.net - it's available for Android, as well as 
Mac/Windows/Linux desktop machines.  For phones/tablets I installed 
"syncthing-fork" from the Play Store.   See 
https://docs.syncthing.net/users/contrib.html for more options.

Syncthing works by keeping designated folders identical across multiple 
devices.  You pick the folders on each machine and whenever something 
new appears (or disappears) in a folder, the "other" folder(s) are 
quickly changed to be identical.  It is also possible to configure any 
particular folder as read/write, send-only, or receive-only.

My Pixels are set up to sync the folder where it stores pictures 
(Camera/DCIM I believe) with a corresponding folder on my desktop 
(PhotosIncoming/<pixelname>).   I've also configured Syncthing so that 
it only syncs when a device is attached to my home LAN.  There are ways 
to sync even when you're travelling and using the Internet, but I've 
chosen to only sync when I'm home (since my desktop will be powered on).

So when I take some new pictures on my Pixels, as soon as the Pixel is 
back on my home LAN, the new pictures quickly appear in the folder on my 
home desktop.  I don't have to do anything, it all just happens 
automatically when the phone connects to my LAN.

Open-source software, all free to use.   Works well once you decide 
exactly what you want it to do.

/Jack Haverty
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/attachments/20260913/a8f3adad/attachment.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_0x746CC322403B8E50.asc
Type: application/pgp-keys
Size: 2428 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP public key
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/attachments/20260913/a8f3adad/attachment.key>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 665 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/attachments/20260913/a8f3adad/attachment.sig>


More information about the Digikam-users mailing list