Face detection and recognition problem

herve.lebrouster at orange.fr herve.lebrouster at orange.fr
Thu May 16 18:03:26 BST 2024

Good evening,

I used Picassa 3 which is no longer maintained. I had seen on the internet
that Digikam is a powerful tool that can replace it.

I use Digikam version 8.3.0. With 110,000 family photos, many of which were
taken from Picasa where I had done face recognition which I had written in
the files and which I put in Digikam

I have files by year and sub-files (around a hundred).

I have 600 people and Digikam puts their faces in the photos with their
names.

On the other hand, face detection is not effective:

- On 7 photos with 10 very identifiable faces it does not detect any faces
and of course does not recognize any using the Elements/search for faces
function

- If I use the Tools/Maintenance function and only check “Detect and
recognize faces” no face is detected or recognized Should the box be
checked: Delete and reconstruct all learning data? what effect does this
function have? what risk?

If I add a face label to the photo, it takes me 15 to 30 seconds to put the
name, which is far too long to be operational.

For a photo and putting the names of 3 people, it takes more than 2 minutes
before you can move on to another photo.

Are there any settings to change to speed up the processing, as this is
tedious

I am very happy with the use of Digikam, slow on certain functions but if
the detection and recognition of faces does not work well I will have to
find another solution.

Thank you for your help

Sincerely

Hervé