JPG filesize changes during import with autorotate ON

Maik Qualmann metzpinguin at gmail.com
Sat May 11 16:25:52 BST 2024

The modification date does not change here under Linux. It shouldn't change
either because we copy the modification date.
The difference in size between rotated images has often been discussed.
Remember that lossless rotation always creates a completely new image. There
are no image losses if the rotation can be performed without loss. You can
specify in the digiKam settings that if lossless rotation cannot be carried
out, lossy rotation will take place or not.
Let's assume that camera images can usually be rotated without loss. All
metdata is also copied from the original image to the new image. This can lead
to a significant reduction in file size. Many camera manufacturers use padding
areas between metadata (probably for performance reasons). ExifTool packages
all metadata together. There is also an FAQ about this at ExifTool.

https://exiftool.org/faq.html (see 13a)

Maik