AW: Archive photos to DVD (James Orr)

sv1 at fellsnet.is sv1 at fellsnet.is
Mon Feb 26 15:39:17 GMT 2024

Þann 2024-02-26 14:55, skrifaði sebastian.beer66 at icloud.com:

>  Frankly speaking, despite some fotos my father took and that are
> pinned as print outs to the wall in our house, the majority of the
> fotos my father took are also lost as they are in dia format (color
> transparency) which I have no projector to view them. As well as lots
> of Super 8 films. Some of them I have scanned by a professional
> company in order to have a chance to view them. But as that is
> expensive I will not continue with the scanning.

If you're into craftsmanship, you could do as my father when he retired:
One small D65 light-bulb fitted into a cardboard cylinder on the lens of
his very decent DSLR camera, with a semi-transparent sheet (diffusion)
and a slot for the diapositives. Once the basic sizes were in order, he
just needed to fine-tune the focus and adapt exposure (if needed), he
managed to 'scan' around 100 dias per evening. Finished all his
collection and his father's too in one winter.

I've seen rigs for 8/16mm films done in a similar way (needing a decent
projector), but of course the quality may vary by miles, and never match
those of professional direct scanning of the film itself.

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli