Archive photos to DVD

peter teuben teuben at umd.edu
Mon Feb 26 14:05:26 GMT 2024

Apart from archiving, I keep a small directory tree of ALL pictures,
downsized to 1024 typically, on the laptop or desktop. Small and easy to
re-sync to another machine.

  It has all the tags and captions I need to search, and once I found a
few for whatever purpose, either those are enough, or I'll have to dig
through the DVDs.

There's pretty good software around to archive DVD collections, though I
still use good old updatedb, the one that the locate command works on
your local disk. I then have a blocate script that tells me on which
disk/DVD those files are, that's a simple script looping over all *db
files.   Here's the writeup and some code what I've been doing for the
past 10+ years: https://github.com/teuben/teunix/tree/master/Backup