Archive photos to DVD

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Sat Feb 24 15:40:47 GMT 2024

Hi!

On fredag 23. februar 2024 02:43:56 CET Mark wrote:
>  Since the image files have been burned to one or more disks (of the same
> name) they can then be deleted from the hard drive to make room for more.

Without really answering your question, I would challenge the workflow. As far
as I can tell, DVDs are way more expensive than hard drives, so I simply would
not have a workflow where I moved them off of cheap hardware to expensive one.

Assuming that you can get hard disk for around $20 per TB (200 NOK here in
Norway), and each image file is about 25MB, and you set it up with a full
mirror, the cost of storage is about 0.001$/image.

My workflow is to keep everything on hard drive, but annually, I burn the
valuables to an M-Disc, which I keep outside of the house (at my in-laws,
incidentally). Those are really expensive, and an integration through k3b
could be interesting, that's a backup which is unlikely I would ever need, but
that I could recover from if my house burnt down, decades into the future.

Kind regards,

Kjetil