DigiKam 7.9.0 reads ctime instead of mtime, if file contains no metadata

Maik Qualmann metzpinguin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 19:14:49 GMT 2023

The behavior hasn't actually changed, even between 7.1.0 and 7.9.0. The ctime
is the correct time for the creation date if no date metadata exists. We
wouldn't change this behavior either. Only in the event that the ctime is not
valid, i.e. not a correct calendar date, we would use the mtime. If the mtime
is also not valid, the current date would be used as the creation date.
In current digiKam versions (8.2.0) the mtime is not changed when copying and
file operations.
You can change the mtime with the TimeAdjust tool without writing metadata.

Maik