Manage front / back side of photos

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Tue May 2 15:39:13 BST 2023

Þann 2.5.2023 14:14, skrifaði Remco Viëtor:
> On mardi 2 mai 2023 14:45:52 CEST Robert Sneyer wrote:
>> Hi mailinglist!
>>
>> I'm archiving a batch of old photos with handwritten comments on the back
>> sides.
>> After a scan of both sides I end up with something like:
>> pic001_front.tiff
>> pic001_back.tiff
>> pic950_front.tiff
>> pic950_back.tiff
>>
>> What could be the best way to effectively handle a collection like this and
>> keep the corresponding files together?
>>
>> * grouping for front & back?
>> * multipage tiffs?
>> * ...
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> It will depend on what exactly you want to be able to do. And in any case, if
> you decide to use a feature of a given program, you'll have to take care to do
> all manipulations through that program.
>
> What you can do until you get help from programs is using naming or storage
> schemes (front/back scans, numbering for multipage tiffs, dedicated
> directories for multifile sets, ...)
>
> In the particular case of scans of front and back, I'd stick with the naming
> scheme you already have in place *and* add the text from the back as metadata
> to the front image. So you keep the back image in case e.g. part is hard to
> read, but have the comments in the front image, where they are easier to keep
> with the image. You could even put the "back scans" in a separate directory,
> to reduce clutter in the with the "interesting" images.
> (You may not really need to keep the front and back "physically" together, but
> you need to be able to retrieve the sets quickly and unambiguously).
>
> Remco

Agree with Remco, lots of software can handle grouping by filename; just
like media-players tend to automatically associate movies with their
respective subtitles, if present and with same beginning of filename.
This works, and other approaches can differ even slightly between
software/platforms.

Just thoughts,
Sveinn