[digiKam-users] Copy file path and name to clipboard from thumbs view

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Tue Mar 7 10:37:20 GMT 2023

I erroneously pressed Answer instead of Answer to List, reposting here :

Precisely what I wrote (see one of the last paragraphs from my previous
post).

But Gimp could be smarter and extract the file path from the clipboard
and open it. For example, when I copy from DK and paste to Microsoft
Word, Word places a copy of the image in the document. The Gimp coud
simply open the image, it wouldn't be more difficult. But I understand
that The Gimp's developers have more important work to do, and I
completely agree this is quite minor.

Also, if Word is able to parse the clipboard, open the file, read the
image and copy it to the document, then Notepad++ and Windows Notepad
could simply extract the file name from the clipboard. They don't,
because DK does not flag the clipboard contents as text but as a file.
Again, this is a question of priorities, and I am not saying anybody is
wrong. And I am not suggesting that you should change DK's behaviour! I
much prefer being able to copy from DK to a file manager than to a text
editor. Unfortunately, in the Windows world, we must chose between the
two options, instead of having both.

--
Frédéric Da Vitoria