[digiKam-users] Security ?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Thu Mar 2 13:57:00 GMT 2023

I would like to ask that people please stop discussing this issue on
this list. People did not subscribe to this list to talk about GNU
Mailman security. Herman, frankly, you should have sent your message to
the list maintainers, not to the whole list.

I am going to presume to offer the following authoritative response in
the hope that it will quell further discussion. I am speaking as someone
whose profession is information security, who has maintained mail
servers and mailing lists for more than 30 years, and who has submitted
multiple bug reports and patches to GNU Mailman, the software which
hosts this mailing list and generates these monthly reminder emails.

It is of course true that both storing passwords in plaintext and
sending them out via email are considered no-no's from an information
security point of view. Having said that, there is some important
context to be aware of, which significantly mitigates the issue.

The first and foremost of these is that this is not a particularly
important password. All it enables an attacker to do is mess with your
subscription settings for a mailing list, unsubscribe you, or access the
archive of the list if it is protected (this list's is not). Also, if
the attacker has access to your email to get this password out of it,
they can already do all this stuff (!!), because GNU Mailman allows you
to authenticate via a link sent to your email address even when you
don't know your password.

Someone else observed, correctly, that there is a risk of password
reuse, i.e., what if you use the same password for this list and for
other, more important services, and an attacker steals this password out
of your email and uses it to access those other services. This is not a
significant concern for three reasons: (1) YOU SHOULDN'T BE SHARING
PASSWORDS BETWEEN SERVICES IF YOU CARE ABOUT SECURITY; (2) GNU Mailman
assigns list passwords randomly to people who do not explicitly set them
when subscribing, and most people do not explicitly set them when
subscribing; and (3) most other services will let you do a password
reset via email, so again, if an attacker has access to your mailbox to
read the email with your list password, they also have access to your
mailbox to do password resets for other services.

Someone else mentioned the possibility that admin passwords are also
mailed out in this way. They are not; only subscriber passwords are
mailed out.

Given all the mitigating factors described above, the authors of GNU
Mailman decided that the convenience of sending people's passwords
outweighed the security risk of doing so. Given that I've never actually
heard of this causing any sort of security breach in the entire history
of the software, history would seem to suggest that this was a
reasonable usability/security tradeoff.

Note that GNU Mailman, the software that hosts this list, has been
around for 23 years, and is in maintenance mode at this point (the last
release, which was minor, was a year and a half ago). When this software
was created the internet was a very different place and concerns about
security were very different as well. I imagine the authors would not
make the same choice if they were writing this software today, but given
all the mitigating factors described above, I am not sure it is worth
the time and effort to change the behavior in the existing software now,
especially since the reminders can be turned off by admins at the site
or list level if they are worried about this.

In addition, the reminders for individual users can be turned off by the
users themselves, so if this concerns you or you just find the emails
annoying, you can log into the Mailman web interface for the list and
disable them.

Regards,

Jonathan Kamens