How to deal with bad face detection? (repost without pictures)

Thomas sdktda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:54:53 BST 2023

(below is a repost since my original post contained screenshot images
which made the post too big)

Hi,

What is the best way to deal with bad face detection?

These situations happens fairly frequently, and I would like to know
what is the recommended action in each of them:

*A: Non-face detected as face*

In this situation, DK detects something that is not a face at all as
being a face. I think what happens is that if you feed the algorithm
noise, it will sometimes find patterns in that noice. These images are
effectively "noise" that just get a high enough score it be detected as
a face.

Examples "faces" detected this way: https://i.imgur.com/Nf6U44S.png

Possible actions:

Which of these are the right approach?

1: Click red cross to say "This is not a face" seems like the obvious
approach. However, I /think/ what happens then is that next time I click
DETECT FACES, these misdetections will show up again. At least this is
what I fear. But I hope someone can confirm.

2: Click the minus button to "Ignore this face". I /think/ this would
cause DK to remember this mismatch and not include it another time.
However, I am unsure if ending up with a huge "ignored" faces tag would
make DK slow at some point?

3: Something else I have not thought of?

*B: Drawings and paintings of faces are detected as faces*

While these are technically "faces" they are not faces of persons. Maybe
this cannot be avoided?

Examples "faces" detected this way: https://i.imgur.com/mgFBB87.png

Possible actions:

Which of these are the right approach?

1: Click red cross to say "This is not a face". Since this is not a
person, I think this might be the right approach, but I do /not/ want DK
to show me this as a face again.

2: Click the minus button to "Ignore this face".//Maybe this is a better
approach. If I have several similar paintings or drawings, would DK then
figure out to ignore all of them if I mark one of them as ignore?

3: Something else I have not thought of?

*C: Poor quality images of actual faces*

So in this situation, DK is rightly detecting something is a face.
However, the images are extremely poor quality. Sometimes I may even be
able to see who the actual person is. However, accepting such poor
quality matches might cause DK to make a lot of spurious hits afterwards
because some blurry blob contains very little actual information and it
might match a lot of stuff that does not make any sense. At least I
/think/ this is what happens from observed behavior. But I do not have
insights into the actual underlying matching algorithm.

Examples "faces" detected this way: https://i.imgur.com/2fQwBV7.png

Possible actions:

Which of these are the right approach?

1: Click red cross to say "This is not a face". I would tend to do this
as I do not want DK to treat this as a face. However, it IS indeed a
face. And I am not sure if I am going to mess with the matching
algorithm if I say this is not a face. Also, I do NOT want to see these
suggestions again , and I am not sure if this option would cause DK to
suggest it again next time.

2: Click the minus button to "Ignore this face".//Maybe this is a better
approach. Problem is that if DK has detected a poor blurry image as
being person X, then clicking IGNORE might cause DK to ignore other good
quality images of person X?

3: Something else I have not thought of?

*D: Statues, figurines, animals (typically dogs), etc. resembling faces*

This situation is very similar to the one with the drawings and paintings.

Here, it is technically a face that DK detected. However, it is not a
person.

Examples "faces" detected this way: https://i.imgur.com/cDpmz1x.png

--
Mvh