Storing jpegs and raw files in different directory structures

Warren Baird warren at warrenbaird.ca
Sun Jun 11 23:00:06 BST 2023

Hi all,

slightly odd question:  I have a laptop that I use to work with my
photos when I'm not at home.   I synchronize my digikam directory
between my primary computer and my laptop with unison.

Unfortunately my digikam directory is getting so large that I am running
out of space on my laptop, which only has a single NVMe slot, so I can't
easily increase the amount of disk space there.

I normally shoot with my camera set to record both jpg and raw files,
and the raw files are a *lot* bigger than the jpegs, however, 99% of the
time I work with the jpg files, I only rarely have to do something with
the raw files (i.e. if something ends up being really underexposed, etc.)

What I'd like to do to resolve this is have to parallel versions of my
digikam directory, one with jpg, one with raw files, and then I can just
sync the jpg directory to my laptop.

I can definitely write a python script that periodically trolls through
my directory and moves any raw files it finds into the appropriate spot
in the other directory, but it might be easier if there was some
built-in way to do it in digikam.

Any ideas?   I'm ok using a script to split the directories now - but
it'd be nice in the future if I could tell digikam to put jpgs in this
structure, and raw files in this structure when I'm importing new files.

Thanks!!

Warren