is there any hope for a solution to my problem?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jul 26 22:46:45 BST 2023

On 7/26/23 16:16, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> You see 8000 thumbnails in digiKam, all coming from the database, I'm sure you
> can't open an image!

If you mean clicking on a thumnail and seeing the full size image in the
center big window, yes, no problem for the first 2 subdirs I clicked so
I went back about 8 years & they worked including full screen just like
they should've.  Reading the pix I can open, or have processed in gimp
in that directory is not a problem. If that whole directory is supposed
to be an sqlite database, somebody ought to tell gimp or mc, they look
like normal jpg's and png's to me and to ls -l.

> If the partition UUID stored in the database no longer matches your current
> hard disk because the drive has changed or something similar, then you must
> update the root path in the digiKam settings under Collections with the
> "update" function (round tool button next to the recycle bin).

I just found it, its a square outline only and its invisible until the
mouse pointer is well centered on it, no damn wonder I could not find it
from your description of a round button next to the trash can icon. Now
lets see if it works.

Maybe.

When I click on update with Pictures highlited, it opens a requestor and
looks like I have to do it one subdir at a time, probably over 200 times
for all of it, why can't I just do the whole thing in one swell foop?
Does it take a * for everything? No, that greys out the choice button
but choose, leaving the choice empty says it will be updated as
Pictures, and ditto for Photos. So I did that, with no effect, I still
don't have the ability to copy what I can see in the camera to my hard
drive, in this case the Pictures/Saw4Bruce directory on that raid10.
But when I quit it this time I've about 8000+ of this in the konsole
window that launched it, exif2  screaming and moaning it looks like:
unknown: Unhandled container to remove :  Digikam::DigikamApp
cuda_api::context::context: can not load cuda!
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
unknown: Can not load " "/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif" " using
DImg::DImgQImageLoader!
unknown: Error message from loader: "Unsupported image format"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.gif"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpeg  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpeg: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
unknown: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x50 0x4b
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpeg: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
unknown: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x50 0x4b
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpeg"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpeg"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpg  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpg: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
unknown: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x50 0x4b
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpg: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
unknown: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x50 0x4b
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpg"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/LetDogOut.jpg"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-gain-0.raw  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-gain-0.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-gain-0.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-gain-0.raw"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-gain-0.raw"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-off-0.raw  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-off-0.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-off-0.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/coarse-off-0.raw"

[...] and ending with:

ns data of an unknown image type"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/fine-white.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/fine-white.raw"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/fine-white.raw"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata from file with Exiv2 backend:
/home/gene/Pictures/pix/plustek-pic.raw  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/plustek-pic.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::MetaEngine::Private::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot load
metadata with Exiv2:  (Error # 12 :
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/plustek-pic.raw: The file contains data of an
unknown image type"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/plustek-pic.raw"
Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for
"/home/gene/Pictures/pix/plustek-pic.raw"
cuda_api::context::context: can not load cuda!

At least I'm getting reason it failed msgs by the thousands.  Are we
finally getting to the root of all this?

libexifv2 is installed, but no nvidia-cuda or any other "cuda" things
synaptic can find is.

Thanks Maik.

So that the

Cheers, Gene Heskett.