is there any hope for a solution to my problem?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jul 26 15:59:34 BST 2023

On 7/26/23 09:26, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The warnings printed by the AppImage at startup are nothing to do with
> your problem. It's just Qt warnings for other stuff.
>
> I suspect that your desktop runs in the background a program to handle
> the camera connection and lock the access to digiKam. As I know Canon
> cameras are managed with a Gphoto2 driver.
>
> Use a memory card reader instead of your camera, and use digiKam to
> open the memory using the USB Mass Storage device.

This may be a red herring. Shotwell has no such problem w/o gphoto2, but
it buries the import in a Pictures/year/month/date/subdir. And I do mean
buried. At my age, I often forget what if anything I had for breakfast
and the current crop of clocks does NOT report the date, kde thinks the
tz city is far more important than todays date. What were they thinking?
gphoto2 has been removed since the first time it was mentioned. But
removing libgphoto-2.6 will tear down the system with its dependencies.
And I suspect lots of gfx stuff will die if I remove the exec bits from it.

Looking at the lsof output, there is no diff in the count when turning
the camera on and off. if libgphoto is grabbing it, shouldn't the count
go up?
gene at coyote:~$ lsof |wc -l (camera off for several minutes)
186898
gene at coyote:~$ lsof |wc -l (5 secs after camera on)
186898
it does not, inferring that gphoto2 is not the cause.

I'm open to suggestions that work. But I'm not willing to teardown the
system to prove they didn't cause the problem.  I'd blame it on the
AppImage format, but debians 7.8 version also fails. I have the feeling
its something about my raid10 /home directory, or possibly a new ACL
problem, they claim the security has been tightened but that doesn't
explain the 1 minute plus that an AppImage takes to open a file
requestor, digiKam won't wait, openscad and cura will so I sit and OD on
coffee while I wait after clicking the mouse to just do it.  Damned
frustrating.

Thank you Gilles

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)