I made a mistake this morning

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 17 01:59:23 BST 2023

On 7/16/23 16:03, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On 16/07/2023 18:50, gene heskett wrote:
>> I found shotwell, which is 10,000% more monkey business & 40+ more
>> mouse clicks to download 3 new images from my camera, and while it's
>> PITA to use, worked flawleessly. Please make digiKam compatible with
>> bullseye/bookworm ext4 file systems.

Here, I'n now on the 8.2.0 weekly.  And this problem seems global
affecting gimp and other gfx programs that try to open a file requestor.
This machine has 32Gigs of dram so memory/swap is not a problem. And
this huge lag to open a file requestor also affects my bananapi-m5
running a 64 bit armbian/jammy.  My stuck on buster boxes so they can
run linuxnc machines don't seem to be affected both wintel stuff and
armhf just work. Delays noticed maybe once a month on bullseye, now on
bookworn, brand new install except for the software raid10 I use on 4 1T
SSD's for /home is killing me slowly and at my age,... Every known check
says I own it.

The fact that it also affects the bananapi-m5's running 64 bit jammy
tells me it should be a commonly reported problem, but apparently I'm
unique.  And bumfuzzled.

> Much as I miss/liked shotwell, I've not had any problems running digiKam
> on bullseye/bookworm ext4 file systems. Normally I use the appimage but
> for 8.1 I compiled from source tarball out of curiosity and all seems ok
> so far.
>

> dougie at office:~$ uname -a
> Linux office 6.1.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.37-1
Linux coyote 6.1.0-10-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 6.1.37-1
(2023-07-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

> (2023-07-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
> dougie at office:~$ df -hT /store/media/
> Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdc1      ext4  3.6T  1.4T  2.1T  40% /store

gene at coyote:~$ df -hT /
Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1      ext4  824G   11G  772G   2% /
WTF, that is a bullseye install that does NOT have a star on its boot
partition, but an update made me reboot this morning.  That should have
been /dev/sda1, a bookworm install. I can fix that by going into the
bios and specifically select that drive. But why didn't grub respond to
the lack of a bootable flag?
Grub was installed on /dev/sda1 at install time 2 weeks back.
But the bios won't let me sort sda to the top or 2nd place in the boot
priority list. Something is AFU someplace, so what do I do next? Reboot
to the right drive and then format /dev/sdb? I don't want to do that
because I believe it still has my web page on it. But a quick check, no,
only the brother drivers for my 2 brother printers. So no www backup exists.
> dougie at office:~$ cat /etc/os-release
Now get this:
gene at coyote:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

ok, lemme mount /dev/sda1 and check some dates.
crazy, some how without moving a sata cable, /dev/sda3 is my old buster
install, and my web page is intact in the /opt dir of that drive!  The
only thing missing is index.html, its not mine but the apache2 default.

> PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
> NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
> VERSION_ID="12"
> VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
> VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
> ID=debian
> HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
> SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
> BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
> dougie at office:~$ digikam --version
> digikam 8.1.0

So the bottom line is that the drive I'm booted from was indeed /dev/sda
WHEN I INSTALLED, and that cable has NOT even been unplugged, so how the
hell does df think its /dev/sdb NOW????????

Be PC and call me confused but I'd like an explanation and a recipe for
a PERMANENT fix. udev has succeeded in proving it has the last word.

> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis