[digiKam-users] digikam on external drive, shared between machines

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Tue Jan 31 03:02:43 GMT 2023

Hi again,

I've moved my database on to my external drive, and it doesn't appear to be markedly slower than when I had it on a local drive. So far so good!

Now I'd like to set up digikam on a second laptop, using the photos and database stored on my external hard drive. Does the drive need to have the same path on both machines?

On the original machine, the drive gets mounted on /media/smithty/rucksack, with the database in ./rucksack/digikam/, and the photos in ./rucksack/photos.

On the other machine, my user name is tws, so /media/smithy doesn't exist. If I mount the drive at /media/tws/rucksack/... will that work, or will digikam expect the drive to be at the same path on both machines?

I could set up a new mount point on both machines, /dev/digikam/ if needed. If that's the case, then I'm not sure how to update the database to look for the photos in the new location. There are clear instructions for copying the database and photos from one location to another, but in this case I wouldn't be copying the files, just changing the mount point/path to them.

I hope that makes sense! Thanks again for your help.

Best,

Tyler

--
plantarum.ca